“Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

Saturday, January 17, 2015

This time around, the biggest news I've got is that I am being transferred! I'm kind of really broken up about it... I have been really sad about having to leave the people in this area that I have come to love so much. I recently got adopted into the Black Foot Tribe and I've met so many people that I am going to miss more than anything... It really hurts, but I know that I will be going where the Lord wants me to go. There are more people that I can help and the friendships and even the family bonds that I have formed here will continue with me as I go on. I have no idea where I am going to be transferred to. In fact, I won't know where I will be going until Thursday at noon while I am at the actual transfer station. But I am staying in the south. That means that I could serve anywhere from a few areas in British Columbia, to somewhere all the way east in Medicine Hat. So we'll see what happens. I'm going to be in a new area with a new companion starting completely from scratch, so wish me luck. Start praying for my new companion, if you will. It's one of the most bittersweet things I've ever experienced... But hey. God and I on the same side is a majority. I'll be alright.

In other news, I've recently eaten a lot of strange food. You wouldn't think that that would happen because I am serving in Canada, but you would be surprised. I'll send you pictures of all of it later, but for now I'll just tell you some of the things I've eaten.

Pig Brains and Cheek meat, Palm Tree Heart, Elk, Deer, Shrimp Chips (Basically Shrimp that is fried into a crispy chip-like thing), Rabbit Fish (This was my least favorite. Rabbit fish are about the size of the last digit on your pinky finger. They were prepared by being fried in a skillet and then doused in salt. You eat them whole because they are so small. Bones and all. I gagged. A lot.), Lilly leaves on a sort of Ramen Noodle-y mixture, buffalo sausage, snail, and a bit of raw deer meet.

I don't even think I've covered half of everything I've eaten, but that's most of it. I don't think I've really genuinely hated anything except for the Rabbit Fish. That was horrendous. But it's been a good experience! It's been great to try all these new things!

Anyway, I'm really grateful for the time that I've had in Magrath and for all the of people that I have come to know and love. I'm thankful for the Savior and for the help that He has given to all of these people. The Atonement is real and it does have the power to heal. I've seen it happen while I have been in this town. I'm especially thankful to my Native Family, Agh-go-mien-nist-ebhos-gi-aki and Abhet-si-gini. I love them so much.

Wish me luck as I go into my new area and meet my new companion! I pray for you all the time and I love you! Make sure you remain close to the Lord and love everyone you meet no matter who they are, where they come from, or what they have done.

-Elder Warenski

No comments:

Post a Comment