“Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mom,

This week has been pretty crazy, but also pretty uneventful at the same time. I dunno. In Magrath there isn't a whole lot to do after Christmas and during New Year's break because people are all gone. Why would they stay in Magrath, lol? There's nothing to do here. 
I think that it is great that Josh is at college. BYU will be great preparation for his mission. He will do great and he is an awesome guy. If there's anyone that can do anything they ever wanted to, it's Josh. Elder Keith and I had a long conversation the other day about how amazing the changes were that we saw in ourselves (since we have been out on our own). We're so much more independent and that means a lot to us.

That is so sweet that Elder and Sister Cook went to see Grandma! Wish I could go see her. I bet the nurses would let me through :)

So because this week was pretty uneventful, I only have a few things to tell you.

First off, I really want to emphasize a point that we have been teaching lately. It's about desire. Lately, people have been really flaky or have been dodging their commitments OVER AND OVER again regardless of how vehemently they tell us during lessons that they want to change and get better. That's a bunch of garbage. People don't act on what we teach them, and that is why no one progresses. The point that I want to make is that no one is ever going to change who they are or the things that they do until they want it more than they can BREATHE. If you watch a video called "Eric Thomas: The Secret to Success" on youtube, you'll see what I mean. Until someone wants to be that successful and wants to change that bad, nothing is going to change. I have seen that in myself! Nothing in my life has ever changed - whether it be about myself or my actions or whatever - until I wanted to succeed as bad as I wanted to breathe. A member played this as an audio track for us, and it was incredible and true. Until you have that drive and that fire, nothing will change.

The same applies to repentance. If you don't want it as bad as you want to party or as much as you want that certain behavior or addiction, you will not overcome! We've been trying to help the people we are teaching understand that desire. We want them to understand exactly what it takes. So now every time we extend a commitment, we ask the person "how bad to you want this"? And if they don't want it as bad as they can breathe, we can usually tell what is going on and try to help them. We can always tell. We help as best we can but there is only so much we can do. I want you to know this because you are my family. I care about you guys and I want you to understand how it is that Christ forgives and allows us another chance. We have to want it. We have to want it more than we can breathe.

Anyway, I hope that everyone is doing well and that all goes well. Tell Grandma I love her. I love you all!

-Elder Warenski

No comments:

Post a Comment