“Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

SO. The big news. I have been posted in the Calgary South Zone. It isn't the epicenter of the chaotic city, but it is still chaotic city. It is crazy. There is always so much going on and crazy things happening. Calgary is probably just as big if not bigger than SLC. But it's a million times more hectic. The traffic is murder and the streets are confusing. HOWEVER, I am beginning to get used to it:) I now know how to get to our house from anywhere in the city, and also to the Mission Office, Mission Home, and our church. There's so much to tell you! I'm trying to get it all organized in my head! 

So my new companion is Elder Douglas Clarke. He is from Abetsford B.C. His mom moved while he is on his mission too;D He's originally from Mission, B.C. Another Canadian companion! He's really super chill. I don't think I've ever heard him raise his voice or yell or even speak loudly at all. Which means he's quite a bit different than I am;D Which is good! We are the best of friends already and are having a ball serving together. I couldn't have wished for a better missionary to train me on how to be a Zone Leader. Also! Because we are Zone Leaders, we serve in a YSA ward. It's call the Fish Creek Park YSA ward. Church was a ball. I'm meeting so many people who have been on incredible missions and have done incredible things. This one guy we went to dinner with served in Scotland, and he showed me where to find Irn Bru! That's the "national soda" of Scotland. Apparently in Scotland it out-sells Coke and Pepsi. Which is insane!

Anyway, here is some other news. When I arrived at the apartment (yes, we actually had our own apartment to begin with) I found out that we had to be moved out by the 30th. That wouldn't have been a big deal except for the ENORMOUS mess that had been massed in the apartment. Why am I always the lucky guy who gets to clean up everyone's mess? Elder Clarke wasn't to blame though. He said that he and his previous companion had been cleaning it all out and trying to get things sorted out. The process had been going on for months. So basically what happened was we had to clean out a flat that had been lived in by missionaries for just about 15 years. There was SO MUCH JUNK, Mom. Like seriously. I felt like I was on an episode of Clean House. It was that bad. We called our Zone and they were super good to us. They helped us clean everything out basically all day Saturday. It was great because we got the old apartment basically cleared out but I also got to know the Zone. The only problem was that because we had to worry about speed, we just had everyone load everything up into the mission vehicles and then chuck it in our new flat. Which created an enormous mess in the new apartment, which is a basement suite beneath some members. So that was intense. And to top it all off, Elder Clarke had been vomiting all morning so we got a late start. But the poor guy was a trooper and we got most everything cleaned out. Then last night we spent the remainder of the night just tidying up all of the things that had been thrown into our new apartment. So now it's clean - for the most part - and we're happy it's over.

Gee, I hope that made sense. Probably not. So in summary, just know that it was hard, it sucked, it was 30 degrees centigrade, but we made it through, and that's all that matters:)

ALSO! This is important! Now that I'm in the North, I am able to receive mail EVERY FRIDAY! WOOHOO!!!!!! We pick up mail from the mission office on a weekly basis. So you can write me as much as you want and I will receive it at LEAST within 2 weeks if not less than that. So that should be exciting.

The other thing that I've been thinking about a lot lately is how our thoughts and perception change everything around us. The way we think is inseparably connected to the way we live. If we can cultivate better thoughts and cultivate virtue rather than vice, we can become something - through Christ - that is greater than anything we could become on our own.

Thank you for everything that you do for me! I love you!

-Elder Warenski

No comments:

Post a Comment