“Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

Friday, June 17, 2016

The Sandberg family in Cranbrook

Well this week's updates are actually pretty substantial. A transfer has happened and we got a visit from President Russell M. Nelson. That was seriously an incredible experience. I'll try and cover everything that happened, but I've been so scatter-brained that you'll have to forgive me if I forget some things or if I seem all over the place.

We'll start with the transfer!

I've been transferred to a place called Chestermere. It is about 15 minutes outside the eastern border of Calgary. There's quite a bit of money here, so it looks like we're going to need a lot of prayers and we'll need to work super closely with the members. Lucky for me, Elder Roberts (he was my companion 4 companions back) was in the area before Elder Shah and I, and he keeps impeccable records. Seriously. The guy records EVERYTHING. The other news, is that I got purged into this area, meaning Elder Shah and I are both new. Neither of us know anyone or anything about the area. Another reason why we could use all the prayers we can get. It's pretty tough to purge into an area, but things are going well so far, we just need to figure out more of the ward and get some investigators. We got left with one investigator that Elder Roberts had contacted just a few days before transfers. They picked her up as an investigator and haven't met with her since. We went to her house yesterday for an appointment that Roberts had scheduled with her, but she was apparently too busy according to the man that opened the door. Hopefully she wasn't just playing Roberts about being interested. But we'll see!
It was really hard to leave BC. There were so many awesome things happening, and so many good people that I am going to miss more than they know. Elder Bryner was an amazing friend, and so were Elders Owens and Manarii. They had a pretty lasting impact on me. That was a straight up Brotherhood in Cranbrook. But the good news is that it is carrying over into my new companionship! Elder Shah is 19 years old and he's from San Bernadino California. We're getting on super well. We have the same dry kind of humor and he has a ton of awesome stories from growing up in California. I was also pumped because he is a runner! Booyah! I still get to work out this transfer! Elder Shah ran track for his high school in San Bernadino (Yucaipa High), so we are going to keep up the exercise! I want to be as fit as I can before I get back, so this is an answer to prayers :) But honestly now that I'm back up north it shouldn't be too hard. There is a curse in the south half of the mission that everyone just gains weight. It'll be easier to lose it up here.

President Nelson's visit was absolutely incredible. Hands down a life-changer, but not necessarily in the way that I would have thought. President Nelson talked about quite a few things, but honestly I found all of the power in the way I felt around him. Like.... The most powerful part of the meeting for me wasn't when he spoke. It was when he was just sitting on the stand before the meeting even began. I was sitting in the 4th pew back from the pulpit pretty much dead center, and I was just thinking about him and who he was. I got this super distinct impression from the spirit of his calling and who he was. It was completely out of no where. I don't think I'll ever lose faith in a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator again. That was extremely powerful. I know for a fact that he was called of God. It wasn't by his own appointment that he was chosen as an apostle. It was divine. I wasn't there when he got his call, I didn't see an angel come down and tell me that he was an Apostle of God. I actually got a better answer than all of those things put together.

God told me. And He told me 1 on 1 through the Holy Ghost. I don't need anything else because I know what I felt.

Thomas S. Monson is a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, and so are all of the other 14 men serving with him in the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. I know it from God and no one else.

Even though all the power came to me at the beginning of the meeting, I really loved some of the things that President Nelson said. One missionary stood and commented on how we need to be smiling. President Nelson replied "Men are that they might have joy! And if you have joy, please notify your face!" That got an uproar of laughter from the missionaries. It was awesome. He - like pretty much all of the other Brethren I've met - had a golden sense of humor. It was awesome.

Other than that, things are going well! Good stuff is happening and Elder Shah and I are getting right into the fray! We're doing all we can but we'll need all the prayers that everyone has to offer!

I love you so much! Never lose faith in the Prophet, and always wear a smile! Love you!

-Elder Warenski

No comments:

Post a Comment