“Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Nate and Elder Clarke taking shelter from the storm.

Taking shelter at the church house.

Lots of hail.
So here's the update of the week!













Starting with the Hail: It was EPIC. The hail was about the size of marbles for us and we got hammered pretty hard, but we made it back to our flat so it was okay. The REAL crazy storm was the one that happened on Tuesday! It was literally like... INSANE amounts of rain and hail. Elder Clarke and I cover basically the whole Calgary South Stake, and we were biking on the furthest end from our flat when it hit. It was NUTS. We were near a chapel, but we didn't have the keys, so we had to huddle ourselves and our bikes in an arch of the church and basically wait for help to come. The power went out for an entire community in our stake! I KID YOU NOT. There was a family that literally pulled a canoe out of their garage and canoed down the streets because the flooding was so bad. It was absolutely amazing. We had so much fun running around in it!
So the next thing is kind of a funny story..... Elder Clarke has some hippy things that he does, and one of them is growing Kafir. Kafir is a Russian Grain that grows all by itself as long as you have it in milk or water. It loads the milk or water that it is in with pro-biotics, and apparently it's super good for you. So he was growing his Kafir in some water and he had forgotten about it. It had been left there for pretty much 3-4 weeks. Most likely 4. He finally remembered it..... He decided to give it a sniff... I swear I almost witnessed the death of my companion..... The smell contained within the jar resembled something of rotting corpses and death. I shot a video that I'll be sending where you will see Elder Clarke and I running like girls away from the stench. It was seriously probably one of the top 5 most horrible things I have ever smelled. Anyway. Moving on.

P.S. The reason I'm emailing on Tuesday is because it is Transfer week. Speaking of which!

So the transfer news is in. I will be staying here, but I'm unfortunately going to be saying goodbye to Elder Clarke.... I'm really actually kinda bummed out that I'm losing him because he is seriously one of my most solid companions..... I hope that I get someone good for this upcoming transfer. I'm going to need him. Elder Clarke will be going south, and we're losing two other really good missionaries from our Zone. But it's all good! We'll make do with what we've got. It won't faze the Lord's work.
Zone Conferences are coming up, and I'm not going to lie, I'm kinda stressed out. President Miles asked me to train 2 Zones of missionaries on Personal Refinement through the Holy Ghost. It's going to be pretty insane. I hope I can make him proud.

Anyway, that's really pretty much all of the big news from this week. Other than that, I am having a BALL out here. I love every second of this mission. Even the hard times! I've been thinking a lot about self-mastery and doing hard things, and I'm learning more and more that anything is possible. I am becoming the person that I want to become through Christ. One step at a time. Minute by minute.

ALSO! I love my cousin Josh. I think he's finding out how the mission is. I am so glad that Aunt Jen is sharing the messages from Josh with me, because I love them. Just like him, there are some days when the only thing that carries you forward is your Faith and Knowledge that you are where you need to be. But you know what? That's really all we ever need to know. If we have that knowledge, we can do anything. Josh is a strong kid and he's going to do amazing things. And I'm glad he's getting along with his Trainer! Some missionaries don't, and that's always a sad thing..... I loved my Trainer. I saw him just the other day and we had lunch. Nothing has changed ;)

I love you! Thank you so much for all you do!

-Elder Warenski

No comments:

Post a Comment