“Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.” Lord Of The Rings, J.R.R. Tolkein

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Writing on Stone was AWESOME! We didn't see any of the Aboriginal writings... Hmmm... Maybe our guide didn't know where they were. That's weird. But we had a good time. It was awesome to run through the Hoodoos. They are awesome, and it wasn't even hot. It was a nice temp and we were loving it. 

Elder Smith is awesome! I must admit, I thought I was going to die for the first 2 or so days. He was pretty tough. He's a little awkward, but he got more and more awesome as the days went by. He'll be my companion for the Mother's Day FaceTime, so you'll get to meet him:) And I have to say, part of the reason why we started getting along so well was because there is this side of Elder Smith that reminds me of Josh. He has this hilarious side that is just like him. After that, everything got way easier. We are total homies now, and the work EXPLODED when he got here. Mom, seriously. I have never been so busy in my entire mission. In fact, we are SO busy that I keep on forgetting things and places because of how much I have to remember! When you are training, you sort of have to think for everyone, so it can get kinda tedious. But Elder Smith is really coming along and I am having a BALL teaching him about missionary work. We are becoming more and more dynamic every day, and he has a desire to work. I couldn't ask for better. He's from Nova Scotia. Coal Harbor - a suburb of Halifax. He's been to Scotland, so we are making more plans to get over there;) I swear Mom, it's meant to be. It pops up EVERYWHERE.

That is SICK that Cierra went on a single date!!! lol That is awesome! If anyone gets too touchy feely, let me know and I'll send out a few emails. I have people. Let all of her dates know that.
And those porcelain dolls you found under the house are seriously terrifying. I remember them. They scare me spitless. I remember Mikaila and I playing under the house once, and finding them and running out screaming. So so so scary. I don't blame Mikaila telling Dad to be careful on the way home with them. I am an eye-witness of their horror.

So I actually have a SUPER funny story for you this week! This is probably the funniest story that I have got on my mission thus far. I will later record it on the USB recorder so that you guys can hear it straight from me to you, but for now I'll type it out and you guys can enjoy it;)

This happened Friday night (04/10). It was Elder Smith's first day of proselyting, and we were contacting people on the Potential Investigator's list from our Area book. We come to a little apartment complex. We go down into the basement entrance and knock on the door. We hear a voice yell from inside "If it's the landlord, I'm smokin' in here!" Elder Smith looked at me terrified. Next thing we know, someone opens the door. He was about average height, extremely thin, and his sandy blond hair was all in a commotion. He had a cigarette between his fingers and before we could even say a word he looked at us and said "Oh.... come on in." So we walked in. His house was filled with smoke, despite the fact that he'd placed himself on a chair next to the back door. It was open, because from what we gathered his landlord didn't want him smoking in his flat;) He sat back down on his chair in the kitchen and continued his smoke. We kinda stood there for a few seconds and waiting for him to say something, but he didn't, so I asked if we could pull up a chair. He said "Of course! Of course!" and so we sat down with him. Now, based on my interaction with him, I could tell he wasn't all there. Looking into his eyes was like looking into foggy windows. So we started to try and talk to him about The Book of Mormon. He told us that he had already read the book. We were surprised/confused, and so we showed him a copy of the book. "No! Not that!" he said. He then scurried into his living room and pulled a book off of a cluttered shelf. It was quite literally entitled "The Book". Lol. I was trying so hard not to laugh through this whole experience. You'll see more why. He began to ramble more and more, going on about how he was an atheist and how he was reading "The Book" to try and better understand the Bible. I leafed through some pages of "The Book" and could see that it was basically just another interpretation of the Old Testament. The guy was baked.... absolutely baked. So I started asking him some questions to try and figure out what he knew. He then doubled back and said he wasn't an atheist... I was quickly beginning to understand that we couldn't take him seriously as an investigator. He told us about his hard life and how he had quit pot.... We wondered what he had replaced pot with, because he was very obviously not sober. When we started talking to him about the contents of the Book of Mormon, he cut us off and told us that he was way far beyond our understanding. Then he related the experience of how one time he had eaten two bowls of mushrooms and got super stoned. He said that he then traveled to the center of the universe and saw a door. He went through the door and saw God, lying asleep on top of an orb of light (by this time, I am seriously holding back my laughter with every ounce of control I have). In his own words he said "I saw this guy with a long-a**  beard laying on an orb of light. It was God. He was asleep at the wheel." (LOLOLOLOLOL) Then he said he saw things that he can't even tell us because they are so far beyond our understanding, but he gave us "hints" like saying that it was technology that we couldn't possibly understand. Then he said he exited the center of the Universe through "whispering hands", hahahahahahaha. I needed to laugh, so I told him that we had an appointment and that we had to go. He told us that if we ever wanted to know what the Universe was REALLY about, we should come back later and he would tell us. So we left. I looked at Elder Smith's face and he was dumbfounded, hahaha. His first day of proselyting and he gets something like that?! What a lucky guy! I mean, yeah, we probably could have been shanked or shot or something, but you know, it was pretty hilarious! We have been laughing about it for days. Just thought I would let you all know how much fun I'm having;) And what the effect of drugs has on the human mind.
Love to all,
Elder Warenski

No comments:

Post a Comment